MB’s Grilled Veggie Packets
This simple and easy recipe, showcasing vegetables and a few seasonings, is surprisingly delicious. It is my go-to for a quick vegetable side dish when I grill. Many people who try this are shocked that there is no oil. It’s that good!
Serving Size: 1 Packet
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: Around 10 minutes (varies)
Ingredients (per packet):
• 3 tomatoes, sliced
• 1 small zucchini, sliced
• 1 small summer squash, sliced
• 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• ½ teaspoon garlic granules (or powder)
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
• Sprig of fresh rosemary (optional)
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and slice all vegetables in small, uniform sizes (I usually slice them about ¼ inch thick).
2. Use two sheets of heavy-duty foil to create the surrounding material for the packet. Place one sheet of foil vertically and one horizontally. Place sliced vegetables on top center of foil, add seasonings and rosemary, and then tightly fold up packet, folding over the seam of each sheet of foil (you will want to create as tight a seal as possible to contain the steam released as the vegetables cook).
3. Using tongs, place foil packet, seam-up, on grilltop, grate, or even on fire embers. Note that the closer the packets are to the source of heat, the faster they will cook. Packets are done when vegetables are soft, and you can smell them cooking (usually, around 10 minutes of cooking).
Nutritional Information: Serving size: one packet | Servings per recipe: 1 | Per Serving: 180.2 kCal, 1.0 g fat, 0.3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat. | 132.4 mg sodium | 39.7 g carbohydrates, 8.9 g fiber, 23.3 g. sugar | 8 g protein